Crown & Bridge
What are crowns and bridges?
What are crowns?
A crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to help restore its natural shape, size, and strength. To prepare your tooth for a crown, our dentists may first take a few X-rays to check the tooth’s roots and surrounding bone for decay. If there is extensive decay or if the pulp is at risk of infection, additional treatment may be needed. Dr. Maletta and team will numb the tooth and the surrounding area. Then, the tooth slightly shaped to allow room for the crown. Our dentists will make an impression of the tooth and the teeth above or below it so a crown can be custom made. When the crown is ready, it is permanently cemented in place.
Do I need a crown?
An adult may need a dental crown in the following situations:
- To protect a weak tooth
- To restore a broken or worn tooth
- To support a tooth with a large filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To improve misshapen or discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
For children, a crown may be used to:
- Save a tooth too damaged to support a filling
- Protect the teeth of a child at high risk for tooth decay
- Decrease the frequency of anesthesia for children unable to cooperate with dental procedures
What are dental bridges?
Bridges are used to “bridge” gaps left in your mouth by missing teeth. They fill the vacant space using a false tooth with a crown on either side. The teeth on either side of a gap will be re-contoured by our dentists to allow space for crowns to be placed over them. Molds of these teeth will be made so that these crowns and false tooth (the bridge) can be prepared. After they are ready, these crowns will be cemented in place, thereby anchoring the false tooth. In some offices, preparing and placing a bridge takes several visits; at Maletta Dental, we can provide your custom-made dental bridge in just one day.
Do I need a dental bridge?
If you have a gap in your smile, Dr. Maletta and team may recommend a dental bridge.. Here are just a few of the things bridges can do for you:
- Enhance your smile
- Restore the ability to chew and speak properly
- Maintain the shape of your face
- Distribute your bite properly by replacing teeth
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation, we welcome you to contact us today!
Get In Touch
Please feel free to contact us using the form below.
4 Sullivan Avenue,
Telephone (905) 227-1480
Fax (905) 227-6635
Emergency (905) 323-3818
Monday to Friday : 8:15am - 5:00pm
Saturday + Sunday : Closed
Flexible Hours Upon Request